Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park
Climb the oldest lighthouse on the Potomac (constructed in 1836), see historic boats and maritime history in the museum, learn about the U1105 Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve, stroll the beach, paddle about in your kayak & enjoy 6 acres of park, pier & more.
The museum details the area's history and also includes an exhibit of the WWII U-1105 Black Panther German submarine, which lies just offshore in an area designated as the state's first Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve.
The Potomac River Maritime Exhibit includes a collection of historic wooden boats that once plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay as well as the watermen's story.
The six-acre park includes a picnic area, kayak launch, a boardwalk, pier and sandy beach (no fishing or swimming).
The museum, maritime exhibit, and boardwalk are handicap accessible. Call ahead or visit the website for the museum's seasonal hours of operation, to schedule a group tour or to come by boat. Admission fee provides a staffed guided tour of the museum, maritime exhibit, and lighthouse tower. The park area is free and open to the public from sunrise to sunset.
From route 5 in Callaway take Route 249 east to Lighthouse Road. The Park is at the end of the road. A nice pier allows for good viewing of waterfowl in the winter and nesting Ospreys and other summer waterbirds (gulls and terns).
The oldest lighthouse on the Potomac was constructed by John Donahoo in 1836. Located 14 miles up the Potomac River from the Bay at Piney Point, it warns of shoals at Piney Point and Ragged Point across the river. The light was automated 1939 and deactivated in 1946. It is owned and maintained by St. Mary's County as part of the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park. The lighthouse is part of the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park. It's open to the public and can be toured during museum hours.
- Accessible by Boat
- Museum Shop
- Water Views