This year marks the 50th Anniversary of one of the oldest and most popular oyster festivals in the country, the U.S. Oyster Festival in St. Mary's County. The U.S. Oyster Festival is home to the U.S. National Oyster Shucking Championship and National Oyster Cook-off.
The World (or St. Mary's!) is your Oyster
You won't want to miss all the fun at the 50th Annual U.S. Oyster Festival at the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds! Click Here for Location Information
View exciting shucking competitions, try some tasty oyster recipes, and celebrate St. Mary's County's Chesapeake Bay heritage at this authentic oysterfest.
Lots to Do!
Watch the Competitions
Shuckers come from all over the country to compete for the title of US Shucking Champion. It’s not all about speed, though. The judges look at the presentation of the oysters and how cleanly they have been shucked, giving penalties for things like chipped shells, dirt left in the oyster, or cut oysters. The winner in 2015 was Duke Landry, who shucked his 24 oysters in 2 min and 16.76 seconds!
Try Oysters like You've Never Tasted
Cook-Off competitors also come from around the country and compete in three categories: hors d’oeuvres, soups/stews, and main dishes. Professional chefs serve as the judges, although the public gets a chance to vote on their favorite dish as well! Winning entries are collected into a cookbook which is available at the Festival.
Something for Everyone!
All Day Activities (Both Days):
- Oysters and seafood galore
- Musical acts on three stages
- Oyster Cooking demos
- The Tasting Room: Get a Flight of local Oysters and sample the region's best shellfish paired with local craft beer and wine
- Craft and domestic beer & local wines
- Special 50th celebration merchandise & cookbook
- Evening Concert
- Arts & Craft and other vendors
- Children's entertainment
- Much More!
Saturday, October 15, 2016 (10AM - 6PM)
10:30AM: National Oyster Cook-Off (awards in afternoon)
12:00PM: National Shucking Competition
- First Competition: Amateur Shucking Competition
- Second Competition: Masters Competition
- Friendly Heat: Past national champions
- The professional heats will follow: women’s & men’s
6:30PM: Evening Concert featuring Sam Grow!
Sunday, October 16, 2016 (11AM - 6PM)
All Day: Cooking demonstrations and talks in the Cook-Off building
All Day: National Shucking Competition continues