Visit St. Mary's County Maryland

Where the Potomac & the Chesapeake meet

St. Ignatius Church

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary's City. In 1704, the colony's early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed. The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits. After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built. National Register of Historic Places.

Religious Heritage

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary’s City. In 1704, the colony’s early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed. The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits. After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built. National Register of Historic Places.

Visit St. Mary's MD
23115 Leonard Hall Dr.
P.O. Box 653
Leonardtown, MD 20650

main1-800-327-9023

Copyright © 2019 Visit St. Mary's MD  |  Site Design by CDF Web Solutions