Chaptico, Bushwood, Avenue, Abell, Coltons Point, St.Clement’s Island, Maddox, Oakley, Dynard
Scenic & Rural | Rolling hills give way to low-lying terrain. War of 1812 sites, country stores, and the island where Maryland was founded are located here.
In a Nutshell
St. Clement’s Island is where colonists landed in 1634 proclaiming the land as “Terra Mariae”, or “Maryland”. The St. Clement’s Island Museum tells this story. The island is now a state park accessible by boat or seasonal water taxi. Tour Blackistone Lighthouse and view the cross commemorating the first landing. Several agri-tourism sites, tiny Morris Point Restaurant, plus scenic back roads make a visit to the area a worthwhile adventure. Chaptico’s Christ Church was vandalized during the War of 1812 but today stands postcard perfect. This area of the county has several classic country stores.