St. Ignatius Church

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary's City. In 1704, the colony's early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed. The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits. After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built. National Register of Historic Places.

Religious Heritage

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary's City. In 1704, the colony's early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed. The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits. After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built. National Register of Historic Places.

St. Mary's Heritage

St. Ignatius Church

17682 Villa Road
St. Inigoes, MD 20684

(301) 862-4600

  • Hours:
    Call for season and hours of operation.