Drayden African-American Schoolhouse
One of the best-preserved African-American schoolhouses in the country, the one-room schoolhouse still occupies its original site and has not been significantly altered. Built circa 1890, it was in use until 1944. The structure marks the era of segregated schools in St. Mary's County. The Drayden Schoolhouse hosts public open houses monthly during the warmer months and on special occasions. There are exterior interpretive panels for self-guided tours and group tours are available by advance arrangement.
The Drayden African-American Schoolhouse is a frame building with its foundation resting on tree trunks located on its original site on Cherryfield Road in Drayden, MD. This style of construction has been popular throughout Southern Maryland since the time of the arrival of the first Europeans. The Schoolhouse was acquired by St. Mary’s County Government in 2000 and has been designated as an important and significant symbol of education in St. Mary’s County to be preserved and interpreted within the Museum Division of the St. Mary’s County Department of Recreation and Parks. Known as one of the best-preserved African American schoolhouses in the country.