St. Clement's Island State Park
Visit the site of Maryland's birthplace. In 1634, 140 English settlers landed here to establish America's fourth British colony. The Potomac River island features a cross commemorating the founding as well as the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Hike the 40-acre island. Pier and docking facilities, sandy beach, picnic area. Mainland St. Clement's Island Museum highlights island history. Seasonal water taxi and lighthouse tours available via the museum.
Hunting Information: Rabbit and waterfowl hunting only. Accessible only by boat. Call 301-872-5688 for info.
The original lighthouse was constructed in 1851 on St. Clement's Island then known as Blackistone Island. The lighthouse burned in 1856 and has since be reconstructed by the community whose forbears' lives once center upon the light. The light is located on St. Clement's Island State Park which is only accessible by water. The island has two docks for boats and a seasonal water taxi runs from the nearby St. Clement's Island Museum.
In March of 1634, Father Andrew White stepped ashore at St. Clement's Island with the first Maryland colonists. It was there that he celebrated the first Catholic mass in the English speaking colonies. A 40' cross was erected on the island in 1934 to commemorate the mass and to mark Maryland's founding. The island is now a state park and is accessible by private boat or by a seasonal water taxi operated by the St. Clement's Island Museum.
- Accessible by Boat
- Water Views